One thing I’ve learned of myself as I’ve grown older is that I love entertaining our family and friends at our home. Over the last year I feel like I’ve really found my groove, in the sense that I have a good idea of what will work and what might be too ambitious to take on.
I never really thought about my own style of entertaining as relaxed, until I came across Kate Spade’s book which listed ridiculous suggestions like exchanging all the light-bulbs in your house to a more flattering wattage and writing “hello gorgeous” in red lipstick on the mirror. Can you imagine trying to clean the mirror afterwards?
I’ve never been particularly health-conscious so when given the option between white or rye for instance, I’ve always gone with what I most crave. Lately however I’ve been hunting and curating more healthy-ish recipes as I try to be more conscious of what I put into my body. Whilst a burger would probably never be considered healthy, the orange chicken definitely is and eating it on a bun is just one of many ways you can enjoy it. So here follows one of my favourite recipes and it is definitely a crowd pleaser!
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 Orange
- 4-pack skinless chicken breasts
- Ground pepper
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 2 Tbls Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 4 Ciabatta Buns
- Dijon Mustard
- Salad dressing or tangy mayonaisse
- Combine the orange juice and chopped garlic in a large shallow bowl.
- Thinly slice the chicken breasts. This seemed impossible to me until I saw someone else do it, now it is one of the easiest things in the world. You’ll have to work with a sharp serrated knife and then simply apply pressure on each breast with the palm of your hand as you start slowly slicing into it. You should be able to slice each breast into three or four layers.
- Marinade the chicken breast in the orange and garlic and give it a good grinding of pepper.
- Wash and peel the cucmber into thin slices. A cheese slicer works well for this. Then marinade it in the balsamic and sugar dressing.
- Heat up a non-stick pan with a little oil and try to first drain all the orange marinade into the pan. As soon the mixture starts browning you can add the chicken. Remove from pan as soon as it has turned a delicious shade of caramel.
- Dress your bun with the mustard, mayo and cucumber before adding the chicken on top.
- Dig in!
P.S. I also really enjoy this as a salad. Just add some rocket and avocado.