Last night was the Oscars (yup it is already that time of the year) and damn did it present some of the best looking dresses along with some of the most talented actresses and actors of course. I think this could be officially called the year of the sleek dress. With nary a fairytale dress in sight (bar JLo off-course), 2015 saw most actresses reaching for the fitted or sheath dress. And it really worked!
10. Emma Stone in Elie Saab
9. America Ferrera in Jenny Packham
8. Georgina Chapman in Marchesa
7. Cate Blanchett in Maison Margiela
6. Sienna Miller in Oscar de la Renta
5. Hannah Bagshawe in Alexander McQueen
4. Reese Witherspoon in Tom Ford
3. Jennifer Lopez in Elie Saab
2. Jenna Dewan Tatum in Zuhair Murad Couture
1. Rita Ora in Marchesa
My favourite was also the biggest surprise of the night – Rita Ora in Marchesa. She managed the perfect balance between dramatic and glamorous. Everything from the fit (nothing overtly sexy) to the accessories and beauty look was perfection. I think this is the first time I’ve chosen a mermaid look over the ball gown!
Black and white was clearly also a theme of the night with many of my favourite dresses falling into this category. Jenna Tatum deserves special mention however as she turned what was just another boring white dress (with a cape) into something awesome! Another triumph of accessories (that belt) and beautiful draping.
Jennifer Lopez’s dreamy Elie Saab dress was everything I dream of, but I felt like her cleavage sort of distracts from the overall prettiness of the dress. Love her lip colour though!
In the final two spots are America Ferreira and Emma Stone, both in different shades of green surprisingly! I only wish Emma’s was closer in tone to America’s dress.
Which were your favourite looks of the night?
I rarely watch award shows nowadays but I still love having a look at what everyone was wearing. This time around it was no disappointment. Silver was the clear winner! Take a look at a few of my favourite picks from ethereal and dreamy to damn right sassy (that is you Emma Stone!). Which were your favourite looks of the night?
1. Julianne Moore in Givenchy
2. Dakota Johnson in Chanel
3. Allison Williams in Armani
5. Emma Stone in Lanvin
4. Lupita Nyong’o in Giambattista Valli
6. Reese Witherspoon in Calvin Klein
7. Emily Blunt in Michael Kors
8. Diane Kruger in Emilia Wickstead
Its awards season! And whilst I am not a red carpet critic, I think there is nothing wrong with celebrating my favourite dressed stars.
- Cate Blanchette in Armani Prive: I think this is the dress that we will all remember in years to come. Classically elegant, simply pretty and the styling is spot on. It also doesn’t hurt that Cate Blanchette is extremely beautiful.
- Michelle Dockery in Oscar de la Renta: Michelle’s dress is fit for a a modern princess. The red lip is the perfect accompaniment!
- Greta Gerwig in Donna Karen Atelier: I couldn’t find a larger image of her dress, but isn’t it just amazing? Tea length? Check! Beaded? Check! Princess style? Check! Pleated? Check! Love this dress!
- Louise Roe in Monique Lhullier: Monique Lhullier is one of my favourite designers. The glitter clutch perfectly complements this colourful lace dress.
- Monica Potter in Romona Kevaza: The only thing that could have made this look better would have been a bright lip. Gold and black is such a classic pretty combination.
- Maria Monounos in Max Azria: Maria was colourful, pretty and sexy in this fuschia dress with sheer insets. I love that she off-played the sexiness of the dress with the simple pony.
- Lupita Nyong’O in Ralph Lauren: This is reminiscent of Gwyneth Paltrow’s Tom Ford Oscars Dress, just in a much better colour. I think this signals great things to come!
- Zoe Saldana in Prabal Gurung: This look has been met with much criticism, but I think that if there is ever someone to make such a fashion-forward look work, its Zoe. I love how what might seem incredibly over-the-top translates into such a simple look.
- Drew Barrymore in Marchesa: This is how good pregnancy can look! She looks beautiful and happy and the colours are amazing. As a side note, pregnant Olivia Wilde also looked pretty good.
- Julianna Margulies in Andrew Gn: This is how older women should dress- sexy, classy and never too young! I love the fern detailing on the dress as it adds to what might have been a slightly boring dress. She also accessorized it perfectly!
Other favourite looks of mine include Emma Watson in daring Dior, Emma Roberts in Lanvin (eventhough I hate a fishtail) and Mila Kunis in Gucci Premier. Which were your favourite of the night? Are you planning to see any of the winning movies?
This year’s Oscars saw some amazing dresses, but my favourites were those in colour and those pretty pastel numbers. Adele looked amazing in her black beaded number whilst Charlize showed us the power of fit and minimalism. Others chose amazing dresses but were let down in the styling department with Jennifer Aniston as the poster child of these problems. All-in-all this was one pretty red carpet and the only really disappointing dresses for me were Jennifer Lawrence’s Dior and Anne Hathaway’s Prada. Which was your favourite?