Looking for a fun activity this Valentine’s Day? Cookie decorating has become my go-to destressing holiday activity. My mother and I made some for Christmas and this time around I invited my bestie to decorate some hearts. They may not be winning any awards for looks, but we sure had fun decorating them. Plus if you can part with some of your better designs, they’ll make a cute gift too.
For the biscuits
- 185g butter, softened
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 2tsp vanilla
- 2,5 cups flour
- 1 egg
For the royal icing
- 250g icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- warm water
- Preheat the oven to 180*C and prepare two baking trays.
- Beat the butter until smooth in a bowl.
- Add the sugar and beat it together.
- Add vanilla and beat it together.
- Sift the flour into the butter mixture and beat it together.
- Add the egg and beat the mixture.
- Chill in the fridge for 2 x 24 hours.
- Roll out the dough until approximately 0,5cm thick.
- Bake on a tray for approximately 7 – 10 minutes.
- Combine the egg whites and icing sugar until smooth.
- Add warm water until the consistency is right. You want it to be spreadable, but not too liquid so that it can hold its shape.
- Separate into three bowls or however many colours you want and colour each separately. Gel colours allow you to be more accurate.
- Carefully fill your piping bags and begin the fun once the biscuits have completely cooled. You can use various nozzles, but I found a plain round one worked best for simple designs and writing.