This time of year – summer, the festive season and school holidays – is the ideal time to have friends and family over. Although our gatherings are usually fairly casual, I love how a simple cocktail can make even a pizza party feel special. As Christmas is around the corner, you’ll likely find yourself playing host some time over the coming month. This cocktail is a staple in our house as it is so easy to scale according to party size, whether you’re solo wrapping all the gifts or hosting the extended family.
- 20 ml Van der Hum (Naartjie liquer) or Cointreau (Orange liquer)
- 200 ml soda water or Lemonade*
- Sprig of rosemary
- Cherries, for garnish
- Place the ice and liquer in a tumbler and top it up with the lemonade or soda water.
- Garnish with a sprig of rosemary and a cherry.
- Serve and enjoy before the ice melts.
*We alternate between using soda water and Lemonade, depending on what is desired. We usually prefer the lemonade as it is sweeter and the tangy drink adds a nice twist to the cocktail’s flavour. The soda water is a good alternative if you’re feeling slightly less indulgent.