I love a refreshing, non-alcoholic drink that I can whip up with minimal effort using only the ingredients I have in my cupboard. This sophisticated slush-puppy fits the bill and was just what I needed to cool down on this very hot weekend in Cape Town. If you don’t know what a granita is, it can best be described as that wonderful state in between a lemonade and sorbet. I am already dreaming up other variations on this classic Italian drink, such as strawberry granita.
- 1 L water
- 185 ml sugar
- 250 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 lemon zest
- Heat the water on the stove and dissolve all the sugar.
- Once cooled, add the lemon juice and zest.
- Place in deep freeze and freeze solid, stirring every two hours until frozen.
- Place in fridge one hour before serving and then scrape and poke with a fork until it resembles crushed ice. It is very important to leave it in the fridge, as this makes it easier to break into pieces without it simply melting.
- Serve immediately.