Being the sweet tooth that I am, I was very reluctant to try a savory muffin at first. This however is no ordinary savory muffin as the creaminess of the feta combined with the crispy texture of the nutty wheat flour totally won me over. Now I cannot imagine any other muffin being more suitable for brunch/lunch. I also make a sweet variant of this muffin with nuts, cranberry, all spice and orange peel that smells all Christmassy- perfect for those extra cold winter mornings.
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup Nutty Wheat flour
- 2 tbs castor sugar
- 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped and wilted
- 100g feta cheese, crumbed
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Mix the egg, milk and butter and stir into the dry ingredients.
- Add the spinach, feta and most of the cheese and stir in.
- Divide into muffin pan and add a little bit of the grated cheese on top of each muffin.
- Bake at 180°C for 15-20 min or until golden.
Makes 12 small muffins or 6 large ones.
PS: These are great when frozen once cooled off and can be defrosted and heated in the microwave without sacrificing its texture.