What you decide to display on your coffee table is influenced by both your style and your lifestyle. Here I have narrowed down a few key looks.
1. Tray display
This works particularly well if you have a small display that needs to be moved to make some room. This also functions perfectly on upholstery as it provides some stability for your display.
For a clutter-free look only display a few of your favourite books or a small vase of fresh flowers. This leaves ample room for coffee or dessert to be served.
This look might be perfect for you if you want to add personality by displaying some sort of collection. A collection of books work well with a few candles or flowers and by adding a unique magnifying glass it is personalized.
Whatever you choose to display, make sure it suits both your style and lifestyle. Always remember that the display should accentuate the table and not diminish it’s purpose- for you to serve coffee.
New York fashion week is well under way and some trends for spring 2013 are already becoming apparent.
Crisp white is the colour of choice for most designers. Everyone from Jason Wu, DKNY to Diane Von Furstenberg made white a key feature in their collections.
For a runway inspired look pair it with black, navy, sunshine yellow, coral or classic denim. When you feel daring you can even go for an all-white look for an extremely minimalist summer.
However you choose to wear it, it is clear that this summer classic is here to stay!
Okay so the fact that it is Spring finally caught up to me and I decided to do a summer wish list. It will make it easier for me to go summer shopping. After scouring the internet and examining what I already have, I’ve decided to split the list in two. So it will be a list for classics today and a list for trends to follow.
2. The perfect straw beach bag/ handbag
(Ideally this would be lined with a zip)
3. Black tailored shorts
4. Statement shirt
5. White matchstick jeans
What is on your list? Are there any classic summer essentials that you would add?
Yup, it is that time of the year again- we are finally rewarded with snow capped mountains! I enjoy hiking just as much as the next guy- meaning I am not an enthusiast with an entire Cape Union Mart outfit, but come once or twice a year I like to attempt a hiking route to see some snow. Basically I try to be comfortable and just wear what I already have in my closet. The problem is that the most comfortable ensemble usually isn’t the most stylish one. This year I believe I have finally got it together.
Some basic tips for keeping a hiking outfit stylish:
- Keep the silhouette streamlined and only wear what is necessary and comfortable! (Skip the skinny jeans to avoid chafing)
- Layers are your friend, but stick to thin layers and only make the top layer a big comfy parka to protect against harsh winds.
- Stretchy pants are the best! ( Don’t think hulk pants, rather think VERY opaque leggings. Nothing ruins a stylish outfit quite like a bit of unintended visible undies.)
- Stick to a neutral colour pallet or one accent colour to keep the look chic and cohesive.
- Remember to match accessories (gloves, scarves and beanies) with your outfit, and not necessarily with each other.
- Don’t forget to pack a pair of sunnies to protect your eyes.
- Please do invest in a pair of decent hiking boots if you can, it will be well worth it. They don’t have to cost a fortune, but the rough terrain just loves to munch on sneakers. (Trust me, I learnt the hard way.)
- Finally, don’t forget that the African sun reaches us even when it is cold and cloudy outside. A burnt face is NEVER in fashion and is a health risk. Don’t forget to reapply your sunblock every hour or so and go with an SPF of at least 30.
Please feel free to share any extra clothing tips for hiking trips as I am still a novice and any helpful tips will be much appreciated!