A casual top, such as a denim shirt or an oversized t-shirt, paired with bright accessories makes this look wearable whether AM or PM. Just add a pair of sunnies and keep the rest minimal and you’re ready to go!
I have to confess that I have always followed their collections closely since my matric year. I remember carrying around a picture of a midnight blue beaded dress as inspiration for my Matric Farewell dress for well over a year! Their collections never disappoint! You can always find the fluid gowns, intricate beading and delicate lace that has become somewhat of a trademark for this brand. This season is no different.
The collection started with white and silver and then subtly progressed to seafoam, teal, midnight blue and ended in black.
These sleek and fluid gowns in shades of the ocean, with lace “tattooed” onto chiffon and intricate beading in coral patterns showcase their devotion to details.
from Sterling Style tumblr
This season, Erdem took a more feminine approach to his florals featuring embroidered flowers in baby blue and yellow with a splash of neon orange and coral. It creates quite the striking image.
The line also featured many lace looks- whether it was a lace print, lace overlay or a lace inset. It was featured in almost every single look. Studded silk chiffon broke the softness of the lace and florals.
The accentuated waistlines and detailed necklines created for a very feminine look that I believe will be received well by his clients.
One of my favourite looks was the full a-line skirt dress with cutout detail and a sheer panel inserted into the skirt. It stood out among the sea of fitted skirts and slight a-lines.
I have a weakness for pointy bow heels that was sparked by Louis Vuitton’s version with the block heel. These cute summer versions by Mr Price for a mere R140 sparked my interests as soon as I saw them!
There are only two things that bother me:
1. The extreme high heel would limit the amount of wear I would get out of them- trust me I don’t wear HIGH heels to often.
2. Which colour would I choose? I mean I have a weakness for both coral and neutrals.
One thing is sure- they do make for a pretty picture!
As always the the designs of Oscar de la Renta were some of my favourite. It was the perfect combination of playfulness and class with cute short-combo’s, brights pinks and turqs, really great accessories and signature styles in black and white.
Some of my favourite dresses featured appliqued flowers made by hand from tulle and embroidery. His attention to detail is just magnificent!
His attention to detail can also be seen in the accessories he has chosen. The jewellery and brooches are playful and fun featuring coloured stones and classic designs. The rose necklace that Karlie Kloss featured in the opening look is amazing! I also liked the shoes, especially the classic strappy stiletto’s. It is fashion without trying to be different. I like the fact that most of the looks were belted at the middle as this creates an extremely flattering waistline even on non-model figures.
The show finished on a high note with some silver and black evening dresses. The dresses varied from princess style to sleek and simple. The addition of the silver belts were pure genius!
Wouldn’t you love to see Duchess Catherine wear one of these simple black numbers? I think it could work as long as she decides to stick with the runway shoes.
This collection truly is fit for a princess!
New York fashion week is well under way and some trends for spring 2013 are already becoming apparent.
Crisp white is the colour of choice for most designers. Everyone from Jason Wu, DKNY to Diane Von Furstenberg made white a key feature in their collections.
For a runway inspired look pair it with black, navy, sunshine yellow, coral or classic denim. When you feel daring you can even go for an all-white look for an extremely minimalist summer.
However you choose to wear it, it is clear that this summer classic is here to stay!
Okay so the fact that it is Spring finally caught up to me and I decided to do a summer wish list. It will make it easier for me to go summer shopping. After scouring the internet and examining what I already have, I’ve decided to split the list in two. So it will be a list for classics today and a list for trends to follow.
2. The perfect straw beach bag/ handbag
(Ideally this would be lined with a zip)
3. Black tailored shorts
4. Statement shirt
5. White matchstick jeans
What is on your list? Are there any classic summer essentials that you would add?
Yup, it is that time of the year again- we are finally rewarded with snow capped mountains! I enjoy hiking just as much as the next guy- meaning I am not an enthusiast with an entire Cape Union Mart outfit, but come once or twice a year I like to attempt a hiking route to see some snow. Basically I try to be comfortable and just wear what I already have in my closet. The problem is that the most comfortable ensemble usually isn’t the most stylish one. This year I believe I have finally got it together.
Some basic tips for keeping a hiking outfit stylish:
- Keep the silhouette streamlined and only wear what is necessary and comfortable! (Skip the skinny jeans to avoid chafing)
- Layers are your friend, but stick to thin layers and only make the top layer a big comfy parka to protect against harsh winds.
- Stretchy pants are the best! ( Don’t think hulk pants, rather think VERY opaque leggings. Nothing ruins a stylish outfit quite like a bit of unintended visible undies.)
- Stick to a neutral colour pallet or one accent colour to keep the look chic and cohesive.
- Remember to match accessories (gloves, scarves and beanies) with your outfit, and not necessarily with each other.
- Don’t forget to pack a pair of sunnies to protect your eyes.
- Please do invest in a pair of decent hiking boots if you can, it will be well worth it. They don’t have to cost a fortune, but the rough terrain just loves to munch on sneakers. (Trust me, I learnt the hard way.)
- Finally, don’t forget that the African sun reaches us even when it is cold and cloudy outside. A burnt face is NEVER in fashion and is a health risk. Don’t forget to reapply your sunblock every hour or so and go with an SPF of at least 30.