This is a super easy, tasty tart for a light snack or with pre-drinks. I cheated a little and added some of Woolworth’s Onion Marmalade simply because my family loves it and it really did make it just that more flavourful and saves a lot of time and effort.
- 1 purple onion, sliced
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 4 tsp sugar
- 60ml water
- half a packet ready rolled puff pastry, and flour for rolling
- 1 egg, for brushing
- 100 g feta cheese, diced
- 4 tsp onion marmalade
- Watercress or Rocket, for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and prepare a baking tray by lining it with baking paper.
- Heat a large saucepan with a little oil and fry the onion until brown. Add the water and the sugar and let it simmer until the water is reduced to a thick syrup.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface according to packet instructions. Cut the sides to make it more even.
- Move the pastry to the baking tray and fold the sides over to create an edge. This will prevent the syrup from leaking on to the tray (though a little of mine did still leak).
- Scoop the onions on to the tart and be sure to pour the syrup in the centre as it will spread. Place the Feta cheese on top of the onions.
- Bake for 15 min or until golden.
- Scoop the onion marmalade on the tart once removed from the oven and spread slightly. Decorate with the watercress or rocket and serve.
PS- I only used half of the pack for the tart, so if you plan on making a large tart using the entire packet of pastry you should double the recipe.